Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Diary of a Pregnant Crossfitter: Part Fifteen - The Final Days

For those of you who know me or follow me on Facebook, you're already aware that Elliot joined our family via home birth (yay!!) on Monday the 21st.  Unfortunately, this post isn't his birth story.  I'm waiting on some pictures to get edited and sent back before I post that.  So instead, I've decided to share with you the story of my final days of being pregnant.

It's kind of surreal... bittersweet in a way... to be reflecting on those days right now.  That was it.  It's over.  I'm not a pregnant Crossfitter anymore.  I never will be again...  This has been an amazing, fun, empowering, eye-opening pregnancy.  I am so grateful and blessed and overjoyed that I had the honor of having such an experience.  That I pushed myself and motivated myself to stay strong and healthy from beginning to end.

I'm going back through my fitness journal so I can share the last workouts I did.  By the way, I bought FitBook Mama 2B on Amazon for those of you wanting to stick with a workout schedule through your own pregnancy.  I REALLY liked this journal, it had a page for every day for tracking food (which I rarely did), space for strength training notes and cardio/flexibility notes, general notes from mom, and on each week's page it has space to list your goals, questions for your doctor, etc.  I used it every single time I worked out, and it's been super helpful to go back through to see if I made progress or maintained previous strengths.

So anyway.  Since my last post I got a few more workouts in.  I attended yoga one last time on Tuesday, but was noticing a lot more pressure down below, like little man was making his way down some more.  That went on throughout the day but didn't seem to cause any trouble at yoga for me.  The next day, Wednesday, my friend came over for another workout on my patio and we did:

5 Rounds
10 backsquats (65lbs)
10 shoulder presses (10lbs each)
10 dead lifts (65lbs)
10 step ups

That evening I went to kettlebell, unbeknownst to me it was my last class for awhile...


The next day Rachael came over again - it was a day I was really looking forward to, as we had plans to float on the pond after we completed the WOD.  Since we planned it the week before, I was hoping so strongly that Elliot would stay put long enough for me to enjoy that day, like one last horrah before his arrival.  He cooperated!  Our workout was:

10 squat cleans
9 push press
8 burpees
7 dead lifts
6 barbell rows
5 burpees
5 squat cleans
6 push press
7 burpees
8 dead lifts
9 barbell rows
10 burpees

All with a 55lb barbell.  I thought it was going to take forever to get it done, but it turned out we knocked it out in six and a half minutes.  I still had some energy!  I had this feeling that my time was almost up with this pregnancy... I wasn't saying that out loud to many people, knowing that Harlee came late and this one very well could too, and I certainly didn't want the pregnancy to be over quite yet, but I just had this feeling... So I wanted to get as much out of my workouts as I could before it was all over.  I'm glad I did, too!  It was so exciting as I loaded the bar little by little for heavier squat cleans, until I reached 105 lbs!!  I had Rachael take a video of it, I was so proud!!


After that we grabbed our drinks (Mango-Rita for Rachael, sparkling raspberry limeade for me, which was pretty tasty!), floats, and towels and pushed off into the water where we relaxed in the sun for the rest of the afternoon.  It was glorious.

Good timing for that, too! The very next day, Friday, Justin and I took Harlee along with Justin's sister and her daughter to Grant's Farm where we walked and walked and walked and walked...



...and labor started late that night.

And thus, the Diary of a Pregnant Crossfitter saga draws to a close... well, almost.  I'll post the birth story within the next couple weeks.  I did get one more workout in, in the midst of labor because I'm crazy like that, and honestly I kinda think of the birth itself as a WOD (or a WOW - workout of the weekend...).  I had to tap into some Crossfit strength toward the end there, so it definitely counts as one last post in this series!

Until then, I'm gonna snuggle my new baby :)


Catch Up:
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six 
Part Seven 
Part Eight 
Part Nine 
Part Ten 
Part Eleven 
Part Twelve 
Part Thirteen
Part Fourteen

No comments:

Post a Comment