Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Diary of a Pregnant Crossfitter: Part Ten - Beyond the Gym

Today I made a comment to Justin that sparked an idea for my next post.  He asked me to help him seine the pond (drag a net through it and collect up all the moss and algae that's been growing in it the past couple of weeks).  Sure, I'd help, so out we went, he got in the water holding one end of the rope and net and I walked along the edge holding the other end (that stuff is nasty, I wasn't about to get in it and come out looking like a slimy swamp monster).  Let me tell ya, that thing gets heavy once it gets full!  And the growth had gotten a bit out of control with the summer weather upon us and our busy schedules not really allowing us to get out there and maintain it, so there was a lot.

A before shot of the pond scum - I ran back to get a rake and left Harlee in charge of the other end of the rope
Me on the other end of the rope

We pulled and pulled and Justin scooped while I raked and we made it around most of the lake getting it all cleaned out of there, and finally I said to him, "Boy I hope you're grateful I've been working out, do you realize how useless I'd be if I hadn't been?"

And it's true.  I'm 34-35 weeks along.  I'm nearing the home stretch here, and I'm out dragging heavy nets of pond scum out of a lake.  There's no way I'd have been doing that while I was pregnant with Harlee.  I was miserable at this point with him.  I was swollen, exhausted and fatigued, heavy and miserable.  This time, I can honestly say I feel like I have 3 or 4 more months left of this pregnancy.  And I have said that on numerous occasions!

Already people are making their comments - "You haven't had that baby yet?"
"You look like you're ready to pop!"
"Wow I bet you're ready to have that kid already!"

Nope, got another month to go yet!
I guess I look that way, but I don't feel it...
And,
No, I feel like I'm just starting my 2nd trimester!

And it's the truth!  I really do feel like I'm barely halfway through this journey.  Reality has not set in yet that he's due to arrive at the end of NEXT MONTH.

So today I was feeling extra grateful that I've diligently stuck to a workout routine throughout this pregnancy.  I'm so very happy I have the energy and strength to more or less function like a normal person despite the extra load hanging off the front of me.

That's what I love about Crossfit.  As I've said in my blog post about Crossfit, a basic definition of it is: "To physically prepare people for whatever life might throw at them."  And today was a perfect example of that.  Using my whole body, strength of multiple muscle groups working as a whole, coordination and balance - it's all stuff I've developed from the workouts.  And to be able to utilize those abilities while 8 months pregnant?  Bonus!

Scooping up the gunk
From time to time I've thought about getting involved in Crossfit competitions, participating in it as a sport as well as a lifestyle, but then I have days like today and I realize, no, it's not about competing.  That's not why I'm doing this.  And really, what's the point of doing it if you can't use it in life outside the gym?  Helping strip forms on our foundation and basement walls, helping shovel debris from the edges of the foundation, helping haul lumber, helping move heavy boxes from the old house into the new one - this whole experience of our new home has been packed with opportunities to realize what Crossfit had done for me, and to put my strength and skills to good use.  That, to me, is way more rewarding than beating a personal record at the gym, or competing against other Crossfitters.  And today, realizing that the rest of my life out here is going to be full of constant opportunities to continue to use my strength and skill and what I've developed through Crossfit, is that much more motivating to me to stick with it, and that much more rewarding to know that so far I have.

I know I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I can't stress enough to anyone wanting to become pregnant to GET ON A WORKOUT SCHEDULE and STICK WITH IT!!  And when you run into obstacles as I outlined in Part Two of this series, like morning sickness, ridiculous cravings, and all the crazy changes your body goes through in the first trimester, don't beat yourself up - just jump back into your routine when you feel up to it and pick up where you left off.  You'll appreciate it in the end!

By the way, since I'm nearing the end (even though I really don't feel like it), I've begun making up my own WODs, and they're mostly consisting of a lot of squatting and lunging - great exercises for the hips which will (hopefully) come in handy in labor.  Gotta keep those joints flexible yet strong!  Yesterday's WOD was:

21-15-9
65# Back squats
Push ups
25# overhead walking lunges

And last week I did:

21-15-9
65# Back squats
Push ups
20# Kettlebell swings
Step ups

And After - almost, anyway.  Looking much better!

Catch Up:
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six 
Part Seven 
Part Eight 
Part Nine

No comments:

Post a Comment