Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Diary of a Pregnant Crossfitter - Part Seven: Feeling Grateful

I haven't posted in awhile so I figured it was time to check in.  Especially since I have a few good endorphins coursing through my veins after a beautiful morning WOD on my patio.


Perfect timing for that, as yesterday was not the best day.  I started out eating healthy - homemade paleo tortillas stuffed with a mixture of hamburger, egg, and salsa, then grilled chicken and steamed veggies for lunch... aaaand classic Pizza Hut handtossed pizza for supper.  Plus my abs weren't really happy last night either - every time I stood I felt an uncomfortable stretch from my pelvis to my ribs all up the right side - I could almost isolate the ligaments it was such a distinct "grabbing" sensation.  I whined all night long until bed, but my dear husband kindly inflated my exercise ball (that had been patiently waiting for that moment since our move) so I could stretch my poor middle out and took care of getting Harlee ready for bed.  I swear I have a "man cold" most of the time.  It's kind of pathetic.  For those unfamiliar with the term, it's basically a very sexist statement referring to the fact that most women can be puking their guts up and running a 900 degree fever and still manage to take care of the kids, clean the house, cook dinner, etc. etc., whereas men could have the sniffles and be laid up in bed completely unable to function.  I know a few men like this, but certainly not all of them fit the bill.  Justin had never heard of this term before so I explained it to him and he just stared at me, reminding me of his strep throat fiasco and asking, "I hope you don't put me in that category..."  No, fortunately, Justin has NEVER suffered a stereotypical "man cold".  However, I think I've been subconsciously trying to keep the balance in the relationship to make sure one of us does!  My god I annoy even myself sometimes - really this pregnancy has been super easy and I have SO much to be grateful for, but regardless I still find myself bitching and moaning about how I've begun to hit a wall around 4:30 every day and I'm overcome with such draining fatigue.  Or my arches hurt.  Or my back is sore.  Or I'm hot.  Or I have allergies (which isn't even pregnancy related).  Whine whine whine.  It's really not that bad.  I've been much more pain-free during this pregnancy than I ever was with Harlee, thanks to my regular sessions at the Myofascial Treatment Center.  I'm not carrying near as much weight this time as I was with Harlee, thanks to my sticking with Crossfit regularly (I'm several weeks into my third trimester - at this point with Harlee I was up at least 50lbs.  This time I'm up only 20).  I have WAY more energy this time than with Harlee, also thanks to Crossfit and also a *mostly* paleo diet.  I'm able to do things most pregnant women probably couldn't do, too, like the day I helped my sister-in-law with her landscaping, which was a lot of shoveling through some tough rocky dirt.






That was about 28ish weeks along.  I look at those pictures and realize, I really do have a lot to be grateful for, and I'm especially SOOO thankful I've stuck with my exercise routine, because without that I wouldn't be able to do these kinds of tasks.

This morning was perfect.  Beautiful 68 degrees, clear sky, birds chirping, and a WOD on the back patio with a view of the lake and green trees all around.  Again, so much to be grateful for.  I adjusted the WOD on CrossfitMom.com to suit my situation (she had a 400m run listed and running doesn't work for me right now).  I did the advanced, minus the run, which was 3 rounds of 20 overhead lunges with a 25 lb weight, the 400m run I replaced with 10 75lb deadlifts, and 20 air squats.  I finished in just under 7 minutes, and to encourage the sweat to break I did 60 pushups after that.  My kid slept the whole time, which was also great (the last couple WODs I did on the patio he was there to "coach" me...).  Now I'm sitting here, getting a blog in while he's still sleeping, hazelnut coffee brewing, shower waiting for me, and hopefully a wonderful day ahead which will end with a session at the Myofascial Treatment Center and then yoga in town.  Life is good.

I'm hoping the weight of the deadlifts stretched my arms out enough to get the last of the soreness out of them.  This past Friday the WOD at Flex included 50 partner pull-ups (full range-of-motion pull-ups assisted by a partner holding your feet to give you just enough "umph" but not enough to take away the brunt of the work).  Oh my goodness my brachioradialis muscles were angry all. weekend. long.  I couldn't fully extend my arms!  But I love that feeling, so I haven't been complaining!  The WOD also included 75 push presses at 55lbs, tossing a 14lb ball over the pull-up bar back and forth with a partner 50 times, and about 37 or so burpees (75 split between two partners).  It was a fun one!



These are a couple pictures from that WOD, doing the push presses.  I'm about 30ish weeks at this point.  I feel kinda silly sometimes when I ask people to take my picture in the middle of a workout, but then I look back on the pictures and I'm glad I ask - on days like last night, when I'm feeling down about everything and frustrated and aggravated and suffering a "man cold", it's nice to have these little reminders that this pregnancy really doesn't suck.  It's pretty awesome, actually, and I have a lot to be thankful for.

Well, Harlee finally woke up, so looks like I get to start our day!


 Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six

No comments:

Post a Comment