Friday, May 23, 2014

The Diary of a Pregnant Crossfitter - Part Eight: Pregnancy Modification Advice and WOD Suggestions


Look I got new toys!  Two 10lb Olympic rubber plate weights for my weight bench!  I'm so excited!  Now I can drop the bar without hurting the concrete (not that I've gotten so worn out from a WOD that I had to dump the bar off me - those days are long past - though I'm looking forward to coming back to those kinds of workouts!).  I can also lift from a safer height too.  And they just look cooler than the smaller weights.  That's always a plus.  So now all I can think about is using them, and what WODs I'll be doing next.  Which made me realize I should write about the WODs I've been doing.

I've been checking into other Crossfit blogs (especially CrossfitMom.com) to get WOD ideas for my at-home workouts and I realized, it would probably be somewhat helpful if I posted some of them on my own blog.  So here are some that I've been doing - and anyone can do these, not just pregos like myself, but I can assure you they are prego-friendly!  I've also decided to post some advice on Crossfitting while pregnant:

1.  Don't Crossfit while pregnant unless you've been doing it for awhile BEFORE you got pregnant.  That goes for any exercise - don't just throw yourself into a brand new work-out routine after finding out you're pregnant.  This is a time of major changes, so being conditioned to a certain kind of workout is important if you plan to continue to workout throughout your pregnancy.

2.  You're not in this to beat the clock or set personal records anymore.  Boo, I know.  That was a big mental obstacle for me to overcome.  But for 9ish months this is about you staying healthy and supporting a healthy pregnancy, not being a badass.  Although I think it's pretty badass to be doing any kind of exercise while pregnant, so go you!

3.  You're going to have to modify stuff, from stretching before and after WODs to the kinds of lifts and exercises you do during the WOD.  Don't overstretch - your body is producing a lot of extra relaxin hormone that makes you more flexible than normal, and therefore more prone to injury.  Avoid stretches or exercises that involve twisting the pelvis - keeping the hips straight and balanced will help you when that baby needs to come out.  And obviously don't do anything that involves laying prone (on your belly) or puts any strain on your abdomen.

4. Don't get TOO out of breath.  A good indicator is if you can still carry a conversation while working out (or running too).  I don't use a heart rate monitor or anything - you can if you want - but usually if you can still talk then your heartrate is still at a safe level.

5.  Stay SUPER HYDRATED.  Duh.  Actually this should probably be higher up on the list.  Keep drinking water!!  Stop throughout the WOD to drink water - I know this affects your time but remember, this isn't about the clock right now.

CrossfitMom.com has great information on how to workout through the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimesters.  Definitely read that before jumping into your prenatal workout routine.

Those are some of the best pieces of advice I've got right now.  I'll let you know if I think of more.  Now I shall share some of the WODs I've done while pregnant.  The weights I have listed are just what I did at the level I'm at.  You can (should) change it to what you're capable of.  Enjoy!

21-15-9
20lb dumbell shoulder press (or whatever weight you can handle)
55lb front squats
Burpees
(So this means do 21 of each of these, then 15 of each of these, then 9 of each of these).

3 Rounds (notice I'm not putting RFT - "rounds for time" - just do it, don't worry about the clock!)
20 25lb overhead walking lunges
10 75lb deadlifts (or whatever you can handle)
20 air squats

12 min AMRAP (As many rounds as possible)
10 burpees
10 45lb overhead squats

5 burpees, 10 air squats, 15 25lb kettlebell swings
10 burpees, 15 AS, 20 KB swings
15 burpees, 20 AS, 25 KB swings
20 burpees, 25 AS, 30 KB swings

8 min AMRAP
7 55lb clean & jerks
10 burpees
Followed by a 2min AMRAP
55lb back squats

10 min AMRAP
50 20lb KB swings
10 burpees
10 tricep dips

4 Rounds
10 20lb KB snatches (5 each arm)
5 55lb squat clean
5 pushups

5 Rounds (55lbs)
5 thrusters
20 pushups
20 hang cleans
5 back squats

I'll add more as I do more and let you know what they are.  Now that I've got rubber plate weights I'm eager to get more goodies!  A 14lb wall ball and 20lb kettlebell are on my list, as well as talking the hubby into welding me a squat rack with pull-up bar and building me an 18"-20" box for box jumps (or step-ups as of now).  But for now all I have are barbells and dumbells (the dumbells I use in place of a kettlebell, which seems to work fine).  Someday!

Hope you liked my WOD list, let me know if you try any of them and how it goes!  Now I'm heading downstairs to use my new weights!


Catch up:
Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six 
Part Seven

No comments:

Post a Comment