Friday, November 1, 2013

Guilt-Free Friday: Honey Mustard Chicken Stir-Fry

Well, no cute Halloween or Fall-themed recipe here.  So I figured I'd pull one out of the archives.  I hope everyone else had a better Halloween than Harlee did.  Our little construction worker was all ready to go, I spent the afternoon at the sewing machine making his vest and his tool belt, only for him to crash at 4pm, curled up in a ball on the couch watching a movie... and feeling rather warm :(.  His fever never got higher than 100, so I left it untreated (here's why), loaded him up with essential oils, and sat on the couch with him to snuggle.  I tell you what, there is some wicked junk going around, seems like there's no escaping it this time around.  I was feeling a little queasy a few days ago, shortly after spending a long day at my grandmother's wake hugging or shaking the hands of hundreds of people, so I'm thinking one of those well-intentioned hugs shared a little more than just sympathies with me..... added to the fact that my immune system was down because of all the junk I'd been eating the past few days, it's no wonder I caught something.  So apparently I had to share it with my son too.  What a nice mom I am!  He insisted on going to Oma and Opa's house and Grandma's house, so we shifted our plans of visiting all the different family members down to visiting just two houses and then going home to watch The Great Pumpkin.  Fortunately he's getting back to being his perky self this morning, so whatever it was that he had was short-lived.




So this is a dish from a previous night.  I was in the mood to cook something, but it was turning out to be another late night with Justin's crazy work schedule, so I decided I'd try out a stir fry.  Then I'd only have to think about one dish, no sides, because all the meat and veggies are right there having their own happy little party together in one bowl.  Easy.  I like easy.  And this is actually the first stir fry I've made in my Paleo life, so I'm pretty proud of myself, and I believe there will definitely be more to come, and probably soon!  This tastes amazing and smells amazing as it's cooking, too.  I honestly can't wait to make it again.  Maybe I will, I do have more of those veggies to use up!


3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 cup refined coconut oil (so it doesn't have the coconut flavor) or 1/4 cup butter
1 large carrot, cut into small sticks
1 1/2 cups cut green beans (about 1 1/2" long)
2/3 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced width-wise
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp yellow mustard

Prepare ingredients first.  Place chicken and coconut oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Let cook for about 5 minutes and add carrots and green beans.  Cook for about 5 more minutes and add the mushrooms a yellow onions.  Stir together for a few minutes and add remaining liquid ingredients and combine.  Cook until chicken is cooked through, carrots and green beans are tender, and onions are translucent.

No comments:

Post a Comment