Monday, November 4, 2013

Seizing the Moment and the Irrelevance of Age

It's late at night and I'm awake thinking about aaaalllll kinds of things.  I decided instead of lying there listening to Justin and Harlee breathe while staring at the ceiling processing my thoughts (or attempting to, anyway), I'd just start writing them down here.

It all started with my thoughts on moving my business to a ground-level location (I'm on a second floor - not good when you're wanting to help fix people but the people you want to fix are too injured to make it up the stairs...) and all the different options that come with that, to new promotional ideas for the business, to continuing my education in a different field later on down the road and where I want to take that, and then I went off on a different tangent thinking about our new house and how I feel pretty determined to start fresh when we move and convert, officially, to chemical-free, meaning making my own cleaners, detergents, and personal products, and then I must say I got kinda excited at the thought of making my own lotion bars and experimenting with different scents and healing properties with essential oils.  Then I thought about how I could blog about that once I get it all underway, which got me thinking about this blog and how I'd like to publish a cookbook with the recipes I've shared on Guilt-Free Fridays and design meal plans and stuff like that...

And there's your glimpse into my crazy mind, which usually resembles a busy intersection at rush hour most of the time.  My brain needs a traffic light or something.

This jumbled mess of thoughts led me to think about how grateful I am to only be almost-28.  There's so much I want to do, so much I'd like to achieve, and being young gives me the chance to get to all of it eventually.

But then I thought about Granny, and how we all thought she could at least have another 5-10 years left in her.  And I thought about Justin's dad, who passed in his 40s.  I thought about a recent tragedy of the death of a wonderful young guy in town not long ago, at the young age of 25.  I thought about a good friend of Justin's who passed in high school.


And suddenly I realized, being 28 has nothing to do with anything.  Sure, I could assume I'm just over a quarter of the way through my life, but I don't know that.  I could be halfway through.  I could only have a quarter left to go...  We just don't know when our time is up.  I can't just go about my business right now being grateful I'm young and assuming I'll get around to doing stuff later.  What if there isn't a "later"?

So, out of all these thoughts going in all different directions, I did pull from it the valuable realization that age is irrelevant, and that if I want to achieve something, then I should just do it now.  Well, within reason - it's really not feasible for me to start over with school at this point in my life, and that IS something that will need to wait awhile (and I'm totally okay with that).  But why assume I'm going to start making lotions and soaps when I move to the new house?  I could start experimenting with it now.  Why decide I'm not going to put a cookbook together until next year or the year after?  I could just do it now, or at least get a start on one.  I don't want to get wiped out tomorrow and have people say, "Poor Jami, so many dreams and goals she could have achieved right away if only she had just done it instead of assuming she had time to get to it later..."  Or worse, I don't want to all of a sudden find myself in my 50s or 60s and think, man, I wish I had done that when I was younger instead of putting it off assuming I'd find time for it later.

And so here I am, instead of lying in bed staring at the ceiling hoping to drift to sleep, putting off sharing these thoughts in a post for some other time, I'm writing these thoughts out to share with you now so that maybe I can help motivate you to stop putting things off too and grab life by the horns and live in the now.  Stop thinking you don't have time and instead make time.  If you want to learn to play the guitar, then make time for it and do it.  Think of how grateful you'll be in a few years from now that you decided to take the plunge and just go for it.  If you want to run a marathon, then just start training now instead of saying, oh, maybe next year.  If you've been following this blog and like all the recipes I post and the information I share and want to make the change to living a healthier lifestyle, then just do it now instead of assuming it'll be a New Year's resolution or something.  Just go for it.  Dive into life.  Set yourself up so that you won't have any regrets in the future.  And if you are in your 50s or 60s and you happen to be someone who's thinking, "Man, I wish I had taken up mountain climbing years ago, I could be climbing mountains now," then go take up mountain climbing now, there's no reason you can't!  Remember, age is irrelevant.  What if you wind up being someone who'll magically live to be 150?  I know that's far-fetched but seriously, think about it, suddenly 50 or 60 isn't very old anymore, is it?  We don't know when our time is up.  So just live life in the moment and make every moment count.

And that's my motivational speech for the night, thank you overactive brain.  Hope you enjoyed it.  Now go do something productive that you can look back on when you're 80 and say, "Man I'm glad I did that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment