Monday, October 21, 2013

Happy One-Year Blogiversary!!

I meant to post this yesterday, but as most of you probably know, my Granny's soul departed last night, so I was a bit preoccupied.  I intend to post about that soon, but who knows when I'll get to it, as life is a bit hectic at the moment.  Fortunately I had this post written up ahead of time, so all I have to do is click and share.  Glad I was prepared, go me!

I've been at this Naturally Jami blog for a whole year already... I'm so glad I converted my blog domain over.  A few of you probably remember it being "Once Upon the Papenbergs", and I thought I was going to blog about our little family happenings and whatnot, but I never did.  Mostly because everyone else did, and our little family happenings weren't much different than other families'.  Except for one thing.  Our mostly-natural lifestyle.

Thus the conversion.  And now, one year later, I've covered a lot of topics, created a Facebook page (and attempting to figure out Twitter), and complete strangers are calling me and emailing me wanting advice.  It's so cool!  Of course I have to remind everyone I'm NOT a doctor, but I guess growing up with the natural first-aid lifestyle does give me a leg-up.  Not everyone can think on that level.  Most people have had pharmaceuticals ingrained into their heads, and grew up being taught that you're to turn to drugs when you're ill or wounded.

But some of you have been burned by insurance companies (who only seem to want to deal with Big Pharma), have been hurt by careless doctors carelessly prescribing drugs, or have suffered side-effects from certain drugs and have realized the hard way that pharmaceuticals may not be the way to go.  I guarantee ALL of you have seen loved ones suffer from the dangerous side effects of pharmaceuticals.

I don't do drugs.  I don't deal with drugs, and I don't let my family deal with drugs.  I will ONLY touch them if I find myself or a family member in a dire emergency (e.g. infections that got out of control before naturaceuticals could fix it).  Fortunately that hasn't been the case for us.  Sure, we get sick, we're not super-human, but I've been able to treat and reverse all of our ailments using natural remedies 98% of the time.  I did get a UTI once that cranberry and vitamin C weren't reversing fast enough, so I turned to antibiotics (and HEAVY doses of probiotics, PLEASE read the post about that topic).  And Justin got blood poisoning once while cleaning fish and wound up in the hospital for a couple days - definitely had to let the medical community intervene on that one.  Which leads me to say that yes, medical doctors definitely have their place, they definitely save lives in countless occasions, and they're hugely important when it comes to emergency situations.

But I don't talk about emergency situations.  If you got bit by a brown recluse, and your skin is eating itself in front of your eyes, please seek medical attention now.  I don't have a natural remedy for that and if I did it's probably not in your medicine cabinet nor is it growing in your yard.  If your kid just ate poison, take him to the hospital.  I don't have a natural remedy for that either and if I did you'd be stupid to take the risk of trying it.

However, if you or your toddler or child has a fever of 101 at most, please don't administer Tylenol or any other fever-reducers.  You're only going to make the fever last longer.  If you or your kid got a cut or scrape, don't rush to the Neosporin.  In fact, just throw that away.  Keep some lavender essential oil on hand and use that instead.

That's what I do.  That's what this blog is for.  I'm here to help you make simple decisions in non-emergency situations that help you avoid the harsh chemicals in common pharmaceuticals, and ultimately avoid the side-effects they cause.

Another purpose of this blog has been for preventive care.  There are so many ways to keep your body in good health to avoid the need for pharmaceuticals, or even the natural remedies I tell you about too.  Clean diet and exercise are hugely important to good health, and I've posted TONS of recipes in the past year to help you make healthy eating fun and easy.

I have to say writing this blog has been so fulfilling.  I love knowing that I've helped people, I love finding out that I'm not alone in my desire to live a more natural lifestyle (or in my belief that the pharmaceutical industry is out to get us...), and I love getting to research more topics to continue to share with everyone.

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading so far, and please remember that if you have any questions or are interested in learning more about certain topics, don't hesitate to ask!  I love sharing my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment