Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Spring is in Bloom!


I’ve had several requests to write a post on how to combat seasonal allergies, since it’s that time of year right now and it seems like EVERYONE is suffering.  I wanted to do a little research first, though (of course), and also run a little experiment on myself - I’ve ALWAYS fallen victim of seasonal allergies, all my life.  But I must say I’ve been having a very successful spring!  Until Harlee picked up some mystery bug and took it home with him… Last week he came down with a fever, which would come and go, and he’d act all droopy and sleepy one moment and then be back up and playful the next.  No loss of appetite or thirst, just on and off droopiness and fever.  Poor kid.  Then as he was showing signs of getting over it, I got a sore throat.  And then my nose started running.  And I thought, crap, I lost my battle against allergy season.  I started pumping up my vitamin intake, and every supplement under the sun that I thought would help, but alas, the fever got me, and I was down and out.  Boo.  So I guess this wasn’t seasonal allergies getting me, but instead Harlee is just a good sharer.  Body aches, fatigue, but I guess I have the same thing he had because it comes and goes.  I’ll have a fever and feel like crap one minute, then a little energy the next, then back to feeling like crap again.  No loss of appetite, though, and no nausea, so this could definitely be way worse than it is, but still, being sick sucks no matter what you’re dealing with!  So I took off work today.  Naturally this would have to happen to me on a day that I had six clients lined up, but I figured it’s better to stay home and rest this off and not share it with anyone.  And now here I am, snuggled up to my laptop with my green tea with honey, hoping Mickey Mouse Clubhouse keeps Harlee entertained enough to let me just chill here, resting and writing.



So, we should probably start with what allergies actually are.  It’s your body’s immune response to substances that aren’t dangerous to most people, like pollens or pet dander.  Your immune system thinks the certain substance is an invader, so it produces antibodies that release chemicals from your cells, causing allergic reactions.  Next thing you know you’re coughing and sneezing and carrying on.  If you’re not careful, those symptoms can fester into actual serious problems, like sinus infections or ear infections or bronchitis.

Normally, seasonal allergy sufferers end up reaching for medications that relieve their sneezing, itchy eyes, or coughing.  But, if you’ve been a good follower of this blog, you’ll see what’s wrong with this picture.  See it?  You got it – you’re only masking your symptoms and not targeting the cause!  That’s what this natural lifestyle thing is all about.  That’s what conventional medicine doesn’t seem to get.  The pharmaceutical industry and medical doctors are happy to hand you drugs that will make your symptoms go away and ease your suffering.  And sure, it’s great to not have to suffer anymore, but you’re not getting to the root of the problem by doing that.  So you’re just setting yourself up for the problem to come back.  In fact, the problem is still THERE, just hidden.  Not only that, but there are usually some yucky side effects that come with conventional allergy medications, like drowsiness, mental disconnect, or sinus irritation that ends up messing up your day anyway.  So you really don’t win.  Boo.

Okay so what can we do to prevent allergic reactions in the first place?  Some simple things are to keep your windows closed, both in the house and in the car, and limit how much time you spend outside.  But since that can be difficult for some people, especially if you’ve been cooped up all winter and are chomping at the bit to get out in the garden, some other things you can do are keep your sinus passages clean.  A neti pot is good for this – it’s a little pot that you fill with a saline sinus rinse, and you can use this a few times a day to keep the sinuses flushed.

As far as remedies go, quercitin is a compound found in citrus fruits, onions, apples, parsley, tea, tomatoes, broccoli, and lettuce, and it’s a natural antihistamine, which means it’ll build up your body’s cells to combat allergens more effectively without all the nasty symptoms.  It’s best to start taking about 1000mg per day in supplement form about six weeks before allergy season.

Omega-3s are also great for reducing inflammation, and studies show that people who eat foods rich in omega-3 suffer from allergies less than those who don’t.

Stinging nettle is a weed, and the freeze-dried leaves can be found in capsule form.  This remedy is a natural antihistamine that actually acts that same way as OTC antihistamines, only without the side-effects.  A 300mg dose can ward off symptoms for a few hours, so if you forgot to build up your system for prevention before allergy season and need an option for symptom relief, this might be a good choice!

Butterbur is another weed that grows in Europe, and can be found in capsule form, and it’s a natural antihistamine as well.  It’s said to be as effective as Zyrtec, only without the side effects (always a good thing!).  I know my family has always had good luck with this one!

Probiotics are always a good idea.  They build up the body’s immune system and repair any damages to it.  I’ve had huge success with probiotics.  In fact, back when I first discovered the powerful effects of probiotics and was repairing my own damaged immune system, my seasonal allergies were considerably less severe than I had ever experienced them before.  Pretty awesome!

Here’s what I’ve been doing this allergy season.  I bet you already know I’m going to tell you about essential oils :).  You’re right, I am, but I’ve also been taking omega-3, olive leaf extract, and vitamin D.  Now that I’m dealing with something else, though, I’ve added extra olive leaf extract along with vitamin C, Echinacea, and goldenseal.  I’ll admit I’ve broken down and taken a bit of ibuprofen, too…

As for essential oils, I’ve been rubbing lavender oil on my neck and throat every morning.  I’ll wake up every now and then, feeling a bit stuffy and irritated like allergies are trying to invade and make me miserable, but every time I use the lavender those symptoms go away.  It’s a natural antihistamine and is also anti-inflammatory.  I also use a little bit of eucalyptus on either side of my nose and above my eyebrows, which helps open up my sinus cavities and reduce inflammation.  Peppermint is another great one for opening up airways, and it can also relieve headaches.  Lemon is another good one, which I’ve been dripping into my water each day, and it builds up the immune system.

And for the kiddos, getting them on a supplement that builds up the immune system is always great.  Probiotics, vitamin C or D, omega-3, and the essential oils on their feet are all helpful ideas.  Eucalyptus on Harlee’s feet has always helped relieve his sinus issues, for instance.  Fortunately he hasn’t been having any trouble with all the pollens and fun things spring has to offer, knock on wood, so I don’t have any personal experience to report back, but I have been told lavender is helpful for kids too, and it’s what I’ve been recommending to families whose kids have allergies.

Hopefully this helps!  I’d love feedback, so if you have any personal success stories with relieving allergy symptoms or preventing allergic reactions, I’d love to hear your story!  In the meantime, I’m going to refill my tea, take another dose of my pile of supplements, and hope for the best…  I keep telling myself it’s not a bad thing to be sick every once in awhile, as it gives the immune system a chance to strengthen itself, but that doesn’t make it any more enjoyable.  Hopefully this added immune system strength will continue to help me keep my own allergy symptoms at bay!



2 comments:

  1. My husband gets really bad seasonal allergies so what he does to help them is about mid winter he will start eating local honey twice a day. It builds up in his system so by the time the spring hits he already has a small tolerance to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Yes I've heard of eating local honey for allergies, and I even made a mental note to include that in my list of remedies! Thanks for the reminder, and the feedback too that your husband seems to have success with it. Always good to hear about personal successes. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete