Friday, May 10, 2013

Guilt-Free Friday: Cinnamon Raisin Cookies (Grain/Sugar-Free)

Oh my goodness.  These cookies are fabulous.  I am so excited to share this recipe.  And what I'm even MORE excited about is that it's MY recipe!  Well, with the help from other cookie recipes that I ended up merging and using as the base... so I guess it's not like I created it from absolute scratch with my own flour and oil and sweetener measurements, but after experiencing outcomes with other cookie recipes I was able to blend my knowledge into what I thought would make these a good turnout, and I was successful!  Horray!


I had an ICAN meeting coming up (for any Metro-East mommas who have had a cesarean and need support for recovery or encouragement for a VBAC the group meets at the Belleville public library on the first Wednesday of every month at 10am, message me for details if you're interested!  It's kid-friendly and a GREAT organization!) and I was in charge of bringing snacks for the group.  I like to go the homemade route, but conventional doesn't happen with me anymore, a) because of my new lifestyle and b) because we literally do not own any grain flour or cane sugar in our house whatsoever (and that is SUCH a nice feeling!).  If we do it will be for making papier-mache.  So anyway.  I threw together some peanut butter cookies, some carrot cake muffins (which would have been this Friday's recipe but I'm more excited about these cookies) and that was it... but I felt like I needed something else.  At first I figured I'd just swing by IGA to grab a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread, but then I thought, "What if I just make cinnamon raisin cookies??"  Hmmm.... the gears turned and turned, and I had the idea of how I wanted to make them.  And I couldn't sleep for some reason so I figured baking would occupy my time better than staring at my bedroom ceiling would.

Here ya go!

1 1/2 cups almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp of vanilla
1/2 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the dry ingredients.  Add in the wet ingredients (minus the raisins) and mix well.  Stir in the raisins.
Scoop about a tbsp of dough for each cookie and plop them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  It will be a pretty wet, gooey dough.
Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top, place in the oven, a bake for about 8-10 minutes.
Let cool on a wire rack and try not to eat the whole batch all at once! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment