Thursday, May 2, 2013

Healthy Weight Management... with Essential Oils!

I'm big into this essential oil thing, as I'm sure most of you know.  People come to me with a problem, my response usually involves some kind of oil.  And herbs and diet adjustments too.  But oils are so great.  I love love love them.  Our immune systems have been great, my mood has been great, and I've been able to ward things off like bellyaches with peppermint, sinus issues with eucalyptus, bug bites or allergies with lavender... fabulous.

Swimsuit season is fast approaching.  I still haven't gone shopping for one yet.  My life has been fairly stress-free lately, and I am milking it for all it's worth.  Therefore swimsuit shopping is being put off because that doesn't fit into the stress-free category...  Granted, I've met my weight-loss goals and then some, and I'm probably healthier than I've ever been in my life, but... I still don't think anyone needs to see this body in a swimsuit quite yet...  But I am way better than I've been before, that's for sure.

I know ItWorks has taken off in our area (the get-skinny wraps, for those who don't know), and I totally missed the bus - I was selling it for a year before it exploded and somehow didn't get the right distributors under me to help my end of it take off.  Probably because I didn't promote it as much as I should have.  I offered the body wraps as a "skinny massage" promo, where you could wear the wrap and lose inches while you get a massage.  Aaaah hello, spa.  ... Except I'm not a spa.  I'm healthcare, I prefer to dig into a sciatic nerve or stretch a rotator cuff waaaay more than I like to pamper.  I'm all for pampering and stress-reduction, but if you want that then go to a spa!  :)  So the wraps didn't really give my business the right kind of atmosphere, so I didn't push it much, and on top of that I've been busting my butt over the past year and a half eating healthier and exercising, so the whole "quick fix" thing that the skinny wraps portray was beginning to rub me wrong.

Buuuutttt... I have an advantage.  I make my own schedule, and can fit in time to exercise and cook healthy dinners.  And I am a minority.  So I am doing a lot better not letting myself get frustrated with people who want the "quick fix".  I would too if I weren't in the position I'm in.

That being said, ItWorks is a great product, and I DO still sell it, and you CAN still get a skinny massage if you're interested...

But they're so god-awful expensive!!

So back to the original topic.  Essential oils.  I did some research (surprise surprise) and came up with some options for you all to take into account.  Here's what I've got for ya:

Grapefruit

This is a pretty great oil.  I've been using it myself and have noticed differences.  It boosts metabolism, dissolves fat, and reduces water-retention and bloating, which are all things the wraps can do, BUT it also detoxifies the kidneys, blood, and lymph AND acts as an antidepressant (and hopefully you all know what a huge role stress plays in your attempt to get healthy... but if not don't worry, I'll be writing about it!).  I mix 2-3 drops with coconut oil and rub it on my belly every day, but you can also take it internally (the therapeutic grade like Young Living, that is) or just inhale it.  Even better yet?  It's way cheaper than a wrap and lasts way longer than a one-time use.  Let me know if you want details...

Bergamot

This oil is great as an antidepressant, so if stress is your biggest factor in weight-management then this might be a good one to look into.  It is also a mild appetite suppressant, and can even help kill off intestinal parasites (which can definitely hold up your weight loss...).

Black Pepper

Great for stimulating metabolism, it's good for digestive issues, boosts your energy (if you're wanting to target your weight loss by exercising, this could help you!), and also is a great pain reliever for nerve or muscle pain!

Tangerine

This is great as an appetite suppressant, digestive aid, and also boosts the mood and reduces stress.

Peppermint

This is also a good appetite suppressant, and an AWESOME digestive aid, which I can attest to and so can a lot of my clients.

Fennel

This also aids digestion, and it's also great for diabetics.  It reduces inflammation, which is another contributing factor to weight-gain, and it's a great metabolism booster.

Spearmint

This also boosts metabolism, aids digestion and the gallbladder, is anti-inflammatory, and eases stress by increasing a sense of balance and well-being.  And a drop in water makes for a great taste!

Lemon

Mix this with the spearmint in your water and you've got an even better drink!  Lemon improves circulation, boosts the immune system, aids digestion, and reduces stress.


2 comments:

  1. I think I need some grapefruit!! Love the lemon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE grapefruit, I've been using it for a little over a month now and totally see a difference! I ordered extra this month, let me know if you want me to get a bottle to ya! And glad you like the lemon! It's definitely a good one too :)

      Delete