Thursday, July 18, 2013

Running: A Guide to Getting Started for the Intimidated, Out-Of-Shape, Busy Mom

I was sitting on the couch one morning last week thinking, "I should run." But Justin said he had a lot of weed-eating to catch up on, making him unavailable to keep Harlee while I'm out, and running with the stroller sounds less and less appealing anymore.  I do it if I HAVE to, but I've been spoiled with Justin being home more often.  So I decided I probably wouldn't go.  'Cause sometimes I'm lazy like that.  And I was feeling lame about it and all down on myself. Then about a half hour later Justin said, "Aren't you going to run?" Well, alright then, I guess so! Yay for not feeling lame anymore!  So I threw my hair in a ponytail and pulled on my running gear and out the door I went.  And I realized I waited too long because it was a pretty toasty run... but it felt GREAT and I was so glad I didn't make up my mind to just sit on the couch all morning.

As I was running I was thinking about how far I've come.  And how many people might still be in the same shoes I was in when I first started out.  Completely intimidated and unsure of where to even begin.  Feeling out of shape and lazy and stuck.  So I thought, I'll create a little guide for new moms to get their sexy back!  It'll be written as though I'm writing it to myself, so insert your own phrasing to suit yourself and your situation where necessary.

So.  You had a baby maybe six or so months ago, or a year ago, and you're feeling like a fatty.  You could go to a gym... but if you're like me your local gym doesn't have child care.  So whatever you decide to do it has to be done with your kid.  You could get some work out DVDs and pop them in when kiddo is napping or after he/she has gone to bed at night.  But I could never stay motivated with those things.  If you don't have that problem then go for it!  Me?  I had a jogging stroller.  Looks like the only option I had as far as exercise goes was putting it to use.  One problem: I don't run.  I don't like it, I don't do it, I never wanted to do it, no thank you.  But, if I was going to get my flabby butt back in shape, I'd better start figuring out this running thing.  Me, the kiddo, and the jogging stroller were gonna have to become a team, 'cause that's all I had at the moment.
This is the jogging stroller/carseat set I've got from BabyTrend.  It's served us well!


If you don't have a jogging stroller, go get one or borrow one.


If you're at home already, good! If your time-management skills are a little out of shape too, then it's time to get creative. I ran in the evenings.  Sure I was tired from working AND being a mom, but it was time to put that aside.  It was either sit on the couch and be lazy because "I deserved it" after a long day and keep complaining about being fat, or get out and do something about being fat. Usually Harlee would fall asleep in his stroller, so it worked out great to put him in his PJs, get him ready for bed, and transfer him into bed when I was finished running.

Stretch.  This is important.  Grab your ankle from behind you and pull your quads into a good stretch.  Put the balls of your feet at the edge of a stair and drop your heels down for a calf stretch.  Cross one ankle over your knee and bend into a squat for a good glute/hip stretch.  Hold these for a few breaths each.

Now get dressed, put some sunscreen and/or bugspray on your kid and/or yourself (depending on the time of day, climate, and season), pack a drink for both of you and a snack if your kid is a toddler, and start walking.  Walk a little faster than you normally would.  Breathe steady, in through your nose and out through your mouth.  Start appreciating that you're OUT here, getting your work-out on, getting started, working your way towards awesome!  With a kid and all, which makes you MORE awesome!

When you feel good and warmed up from walking, start jogging, but baby steps.  Take it easy.  Feel it out.  Don't go too fast or you'll wear yourself out that much faster.  See how far you can make it - once you feel like you reach that point that your chest is going to explode and you'll keel over right there, crank out a few more steps and then slow down.  Try to keep your breathing steady.  I walked/jogged in my neighborhood, which is a big loop, and one lap is 1/3 of a mile.  One part was a good straight-away, so I challenged myself to jog the length of the straight away and then I had the rest of the loop to catch my breath.  Then I worked my way up to jogging around the corner.  Then I split it up - walked 1/4, jogged 1/4, walked 1/4, jogged 1/4 of each lap.  I knew 3 laps was a mile, so that was convenient.  You're going to have to work at it, but you'll get there!  You have to start somewhere! You'll be huffing and puffing and feeling absolutely ridiculous, gasping for breath and sweating profusely, but it's so worth it.  Keep at it.  Before I knew it, I was jogging half and walking half, then suddenly I was able to complete a full lap so I was able to jog a lap, walk a lap, jog a lap.

Set some goals for yourself.  "In x number of weeks I want to be able to jog one mile without stopping." or "By mm/dd I want to be able to jog a mile in 30 minutes."  That way you have something to work towards and keep yourself motivated.  Weigh and measure yourself before you start, then come back and do it again in a couple weeks or a month.  Looking back and seeing your progress is always a good motivator, rather than looking at your goal all the time and feeling like it's soooo far away.

I've come to the point where running is my priority now, and I make it happen at least 3-4 times a week.  If Justin is home, I'll leave Harlee with him and get out.  Or make him come with me :-). If he's working, I'll take the stroller or make my runs coincide with his schedule.  It's awesome too because I can get two miles done in under 20 minutes, and 20 minutes is hardly any time to be gone at all!  I still have goals to meet, but after a year of keeping at this I'm very proud of where I am and how I feel.  This has improved my moods, it has improved my desire to eat healthy, it has improved my ability to play with my kid and keep up with his energy levels, it has improved my sleep; I've benefited tremendously by adding this mode of exercise into my life.

I am blessed with the flexibility of being able to add in some time for personal training now that Harlee is a bit older.  But before my time-management skills were adjusted and my life didn't have room for that yet, running was the one thing that fit and the one thing I know I'll be able to keep up with.  In the neighborhood, on our lane at the farm, or in town if I just pack up the stroller and drive to the destination.  It's easy to work it into your life if you put your mind to it.  I'm glad I put my "I'm not a runner!" attitude aside and sucked it up and tried it.  Hopefully this helps if you're a busy mom with a few extra pounds and a desire to DO something about it! Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment