Friday, July 26, 2013

Guilt-Free Friday: Birthday Cake!

This turned out soooooo amazingly good.  Unfortunately I can't claim it as my own, someone else gets to take credit for the genius behind it, so here's the original recipe.

It's the same recipe I used for the amaretto cake I made for Justin's birthday, only I modified it (obviously), and the chocolate cake I made for my birthday (also modified, also obvious, haha).  This time, however, I followed the recipe, and the only modification I made was the addition of chocolate chips.  Which was a very successful modification!  Can't go wrong with chocolate chips! Oh and I used almond milk instead of coconut, and I changed the baking soda from the original recipe to baking powder.  I'm needing to do some more research on that, but I've been told from different sources that baking soda should not be eaten.  It's only for cleaning.  It's definitely a damn good cleaner... But I'm interested to learn more about avoiding it in food!

I made it the day before, because I've found from the last two cakes that they taste WAY better the next day. I don't know what it is, I guess the flavors just infuse and have their own little cake party over the 24 hour span, so when it's time for you to eat it all you've got is fun and happiness!


And yeah, it was good.  We went out to eat to celebrate our ground-breaking on the new house and for Mr. Harlee's birthday with my grandma and some family friends, and one friend of the family turned his nose up at the idea of a "healthy" birthday cake, wondering how it can possibly be good.  After eating it, I definitely saw a look of amazement on his face, and I'm pretty sure I heard him use the word "amazing" as well.  Oh yeah.


So, here's what you do:

Preheat oven to 350Âș
4 eggs
3/4 cup almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup palm sugar
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Stevia
3/4 cup chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract and palm sugar.
2. Add in the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, and stevia. Mix it all together, then stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish and pour in batter.
4. 
Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean.

I iced it with half the peanut butter icing recipe from my chocolate birthday cake, which made it even more amazing.  Yeah, this was a pretty fabulous experience.  And better yet, we got to eat the leftovers for breakfast.  Because it's good for us.  Win!



No comments:

Post a Comment