Saturday, August 31, 2013

Guilt-Free *Saturday*: Paleo German Chocolate Cake (Icing)

icing, just before it thickens
Sadly, this turned into a Guilt-Free Saturday.  But again, better late than never!  I had a busy day with clients and the new house (which now has trusses on it! We have the beginning stages of a roof!) and some last minute swimming before pools are closed up for the summer, and all of a sudden it was time for bed.  And now it's Saturday.

I wasn't really sure what to expect while I was up at 9:00 at night Tuesday night whipping up this cake for my personal trainer's birthday (which was Thursday, but I saw him Wednesday so I figured I'd start his bday off a day sooner).  I was in a baking mood for awhile anyway, so I figured what better opportunity for baking than my Paleo personal trainer's birthday?  German chocolate it is.  And honestly, I've never been the biggest fan of German chocolate cake.  I mean, I like it and all, it's definitely not a bad cake, but not on the top of my list.  I'm more of a spice cake, carrot cake, or pineapple upside-down cake kinda person.

After adding the pecans and coconut
Well, German chocolate has officially made it up to my favorite cakes list.

Holy crap this was good.

I used my chocolate cake recipe from my birthday in February, but added about 1/4 cup of honey to it for a little more moisture.  Then I went off of a bad-for-you German chocolate icing recipe and converted it.  I had no idea what to expect.  That and I was making mini cakes instead of one big round cake, so baking time needed to be adjusted.  Turns out 15 minutes for 3 mini loaf pans worked perfectly.  I greased them with coconut oil and they popped right out.  I love it when things work out!



icing in between the layers

Here's the icing recipe:

1 cup almond or coconut milk
1 cup palm sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

In a saucepan over medium-low heat combine the milk, sugar, yolks, oil, and vanilla.  Stir frequently until it thickens - do this while your cake is baking, as it takes about 20 minutes or so.
Once thickened, remove from heat and add in the pecans and coconut flakes.  Stir to combine.  Let cool to room temperature before spreading on your cake.  Try not to lick the spoon too much :)  Enjoy!

I forgot to snap a picture of the finished product, so these are courtesy of Derek's phone photography...

I think he liked it!

2 comments: