Saturday, August 31, 2013

Guilt-Free Friday: Cauli-Rice Jambalaya


This definitely hit the spot.  If anyone is trying the whole grain-free thing and really misses jambalaya, then this recipe is for you.  And it's really not much different to make than traditional rice jambalaya is.  Win!  I'm in the process of creating a cornless cornbread recipe though... I tried one I had found online and I wasn't thrilled.  It was okay... but not what I was looking for.  I'll figure it out, don't worry, but in the meantime, I've now got jambalaya, and I'm pretty thrilled about that!  I modified a recipe I had found on PaleOMG  (added some things, took away some things, but more or less same basic principle) and the end result was pretty fabulous.  I highly recommend!  (Obviously, or it wouldn't be a Guilt-Free Friday post!)




1 long link Polish sausage, sliced (andouille is more authentic but they don't have that at my local grocery store)
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cups sliced okra
1 head cauliflower, riced
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste


That sure LOOKS like cornbread doesn't it?  It's not!

It's easiest to rice your cauliflower in a food processor, but grating it by hand is an option too.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and okra and saute until the garlic and onions are translucent.
Add the cauliflower, broth, chicken and sausage. Mix together. Cover and let cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. Stir together.  Add the shrimp (doing this later prevents everything from getting too fishy).
Cover and let cook for another 5-8 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and meats are cooked through.
Let cool for about 5 minutes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment