Friday, June 21, 2013

Guilt-Free Friday: Paleo Hummus

Wow, I miss my little corner of blogdom... it's been too long!  Weddings, dates with my newly acquired husband (he just got laid off from crazy long hours so we have catching up to do!), trip planning, business, exercising more, and preparing for my class (which is TONIGHT!!) have all been keeping me away from just sitting down to write.  And I've missed it.  I haven't had too many remarkable things to share lately, though, so I guess it's okay.

But now I do.

It's a recipe for a kind-of hummus that will be offered as a sample at tonight's class.  Next Friday I'll share the caramel recipe we also will be sampling, so stay tuned!  Also, at some point I intend to review some of what I'll be sharing at class tonight, so everyone can reap the benefits of a good knowledge base on how to eat healthy.  It's important to know what you're fueling your body with!

So.  This hummus.  It's incredible.  And easy to make.  And WAY better for you than conventional hummus, which isn't THAT bad for you but it's kinda high-carb beings that the main ingredient is chickpeas.  This is a more low-carb version.  That's a good thing :).  I found it on Primal Kitchen Chaos and I sure am glad I did.  I don't think I'll ever go back to regular hummus - this is WAY yummier!


Here's what you need:

1 zucchini (about 1.5" diameter and a little under a foot long), peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup cashews
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
Dash of cayenne pepper
Dash of paprika

Here's what you do:

Put it all in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth!  So simple!  and you can play with flavors too like roasted red pepper or garlic herb or whatever, but plain is pretty darn yummy by itself.  And I've never really been a plain hummus kind of person so this is definitely a good thing!

Dunking a yummy Kale Chip in it... mmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment