Friday, March 1, 2013

Guilt-Free Friday: Lenten Special, Pecan-Crusted Salmon


For those who really know me, this is an ironic post, offering a fish recipe on Friday when I decided long ago that I never wanted to participate in a “weird” Catholic tradition ever again (no offense to those who participate!).  For those who don’t know me that well, I’m what they call a “recovering Catholic”.  Organized religion is not my thing.  Being raised Catholic with that kind of personality trait is rather conflicting, I must say…

But, I do have my Catholic roots to thank for a few things, like my interest in a broad array of different cultures and their religious or spiritual practices and my open-mindedness towards them.  Some are pretty cool, and others are weirder than Catholicism…  Back when I was deciding to leave the church I used to be kinda bitter about religion, too, which isn’t a good place to be.  I finally learned that what makes one person happy may not make another person happy, but so long as we’re doing or following something that makes us happy without hurting anyone else then all is well.  I searched within for my own personal belief system, satisfying both my need for a belief and my desire to avoid organized religion, and life has been pretty fulfilling since then, I must say.

Another thing I have to thank Catholicism for is my distaste for soda… I gave up soda for Lent one year in grade school, made it all 40 days, which was tough because I loved me some soda… and I was so excited to have a Dr. Pepper on Easter Sunday, only to find out it tasted DISGUSTING!!  Ugh!  Thank you, Lent, for breaking my soda addiction and completely reversing my taste for it, and leading me towards a healthier lifestyle.  Horray!  (Okay so I’m not perfect, I’ll treat myself to a Captain and Root Beer every now and then… I didn’t lose my taste for root beer… shhh don’t tell…)

My senior year of high school I gave up being Catholic for Lent.  Har har har.  I’m still going strong too and it’s been very freeing for me!  As I was saying, though, leaving the church sent me through a weird transition of strong dislike for the Catholic faith and how stifling it felt to me, and I vowed never to participate in one of their traditions ever again – eating meat every Friday of Lent was going to be one of them!  I got over that later on, once I found peace with my upbringing and got over my bitterness.  Plus, all those fish fries in our area are fun and yummy!  (That was one thing that confused me though – technically not eating meat is supposed to be a sacrifice, isn’t it?  The McDonald’s marquee advertising their tasty fish bites doesn’t seem like a big sacrifice to me… but that’s just my opinion…)  But I haven’t forgotten that phase I went through, transitioning from Catholic to, well, whatever you’d call me now.  So I had to laugh this Ash Wednesday when Justin and I were debating on what to have for lunch, and we ended up pulling some fish out of the freezer because it sounded good… and I realized I was letting my inner 18-year-old down…  I guess eating fish on significant Lenten days is just engrained in me!  Makes for a pretty easy Guilt-Free Friday post as far as recipes go too – I’ll just fish it up for you!  Even though Easter is right around the corner…  How is it March already??

By the way, if we’re not supposed to eat meat on Friday, why is fish okay?  I mean, fish are animals with flesh too, why don’t they count?  I’ve always wondered that…

Anyway.  Now all my readers know me a little better.  Please don’t think I’m judging you or knocking you if you do follow organized religion. If that were the case, I would have no friends, because I’m kind of a minority as it is…  I love it when anybody does what makes them happy, and if church makes you happy then keep doing it!  Like I said, it’s just personally not my thing.  Please don’t judge me either!

Because if you are judging me you might have quit reading by now… and if you quit reading by now then you’re missing out on this yummy recipe!  And especially if you’re Catholic and in need of a good Friday recipe, you’re gonna want this one!  It’s yummy!  And easy…  So check it out!


You’ll need:

2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp butter, melted (grass-fed is preferred)
1 ½ tbsp. honey
2 Paleo Biscuits, crumbled (those are in your freezer, right?  If not, get on it, they’re easy and freeze well, so you’ll never be without biscuits!)  If you're not avoiding bread, you can use about 3/4 cup of bread or cracker crumbs.
¾ cup chopped pecans
2 tsp chopped parsley
4 salmon fillets (about 4oz each)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the mustard, butter, and honey in a bowl.  In another bowl, mix the biscuit crumbs, pecans, and parsley.

Coat the salmon fillets with the honey mustard mixture.  I sprinkled some of the crumb mixture on a lightly greased baking sheet and set each fillet on the crumbs.  Coat the tops of the fillets with the remainder of the crumb mixture.

Bake for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, or until the salmon flakes when tested.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment