Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Love Yourself!

So we finally got the boys to bed, Justin crashed since he has to get up earlier than me and I went on to finish cleaning the kitchen and switch out the laundry.  I went out to the garage to turn the light off and caught a snippet of Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass" on the radio (which plays all the time out there... I keep forgetting to ask Justin why he likes to leave it on) and then it got stuck in my head.  So as I was folding laundry I sang it to myself.  And reflected on how there's been this big body-loving movement going on encouraging everyone to love yourself no matter what size you are. Which is pretty awesome.

I'm on Instagram a lot - I use it as my online health journal.  Yep, I'm the person that posts swelfies after a workout or pictures of my super healthy meals.  If you don't like it, don't follow it (the glory of Instagram).  That being said, I follow a lot of like-minded people using IG as their online health journal as well.  I read the stories of people going from severely overweight to fit, and I read their stories about their journey, and find them so inspirational, then I go on to read some of the comments from other followers who say things like, "Your story makes it sound like fat people are bad."  Or, "What you said sounds a lot like fat shaming."

I've posted before and after pictures along my way too, and I always think, gee, I hope nobody thinks that of me.

I've worked my butt off to get to where I am (literally!).  Does that mean I think heavier people (is that the "politically correct" term?) are bad?  No.  I got to thinking about this whole concept as I was folding laundry...

What it all boils down to is self love.  Why did I want to lose weight?  Because I wasn't happy where I was before.  I lacked confidence, I felt sluggish, I felt fatigued, I felt weak, and I was depressed.  Diet and exercise changed all that for me, and while I lost weight, the most important thing is that I found happiness.

A lot of people have complained about themselves and their size or shape around me.  It sounds like a lack of confidence, but there's definitely a lack of self love. (I always liked the quote, "Would you talk about your best friend the way you talk about yourself?"  Think about that...)

So here's the thing.  There's nothing wrong with being fat, or skinny, or anywhere in between or beyond.  There's only something wrong with it if you're not happy in your skin.  And if you're willing to do something to change how you feel about yourself, no matter what amount of effort and hard work it takes, then do it.  If you're not willing to put forth the effort to change, then find a way to love yourself for who you are and what you are.

Better yet, do that anyway, even if you do have full intentions of embarking on a health or fitness journey.  It makes the journey much more successful, trust me.

Let's all practice self love this year!  And reap the benefits!  Quit comparing, quit shaming, and quit putting yourself down.  You are you - own it and rock it.


That's all!  Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, by the way.  I've been too busy juggling my business, preparing for adventures in 2016, organizing things from 2015, doing the family thing, recovering from the holidays, making it a priority to work out regularly, obsessing over trying to break my sugar addiction (which was my Christmas present to myself, hooray.) and trying to eat healthier.  I'm getting back there.  Maybe I'll blog about that next...

Anyway, I felt like sharing my musings from a late-night laundry folding session, short and sweet though it may be.  Hope everyone's 2016 is off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment