Monday, June 29, 2015

Love Thy Neighbor

So many people are not following the Bible's words, and it's so sad.

I mean, the main one that's in the forefront right now is Leviticus 20:13, "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them."

But now gay marriage is accepted in our country.  Just terrible, isn't it?

And what about Levitucus 25:44, "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

But slavery was abolished quite some time ago, and now even the Confederate flag is no longer acceptable in most places!  What is wrong with people?

Or Deuteronomy 22:9, " Do not plant two kinds of seed in your vineyard; if you do, not only the crops you plant but also the fruit of the vineyard will be defiled."

See??  This non-GMO movement has some good ground to stand on, it's in the Bible not to cross-pollinate!

How about Leviticus 11:12, "Everything in the waters that has not fins and scales is detestable to you."

Wait... I do like shrimp... a lot of people like shrimp... and clams and oysters and mussels and scallops and...

Or Deuteronomy 22:5, "A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this."

Dangit, I don't like wearing dresses... Well, formal events, parties, and nice social outings are okay and it's fun to get dressed up, but otherwise, not so much.  Skirts especially, I hate wearing skirts... I prefer pants and shorts... But these are men's clothes!  Crap.

On the topic of clothes, Deuteronomy 22:11 says "Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together."  Guess I need to throw out these cotton/polyester blend shorts I'm wearing... And nearly everything else in my closet.

And maybe we should give the polygamists a break?  Deuteronomy 21:15-17,  "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons but the firstborn is the son of the wife he does not love, / when he wills his property to his sons, he must not give the rights of the firstborn to the son of the wife he loves in preference to his actual firstborn, the son of the wife he does not love. /  He must acknowledge the son of his unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double share of all he has. That son is the first sign of his father’s strength. The right of the firstborn belongs to him.

If Justin ever decides to take on his second wife and have kids, at least we know how the inheritance is divided.

Alright, that's enough for now.  But I could go on.

Most of you know I'm not religious.  This is partially why.  The Bible has thousands of verses in it, and only a select few are focused on.  It seems like religious authorities, or just religious followers in general, will pick which verses to zero in on to defend their personal beliefs.  But what about all the other crazy verses and teachings in it?

I look at the Bible as a set of guidelines, but otherwise stories.  It was written thousands of years ago by MEN.  Human beings - who make mistakes, misinterpret things, and have human flaws like greed, jealousy, vengeance, malice, etc.  As a good friend of mine said, "God did not write the Bible.  Men wrote the Bible.  I could have written the Bible."

But, there are a lot of good things in it that should, in my opinion, be followed, like:

John 8:7, "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

If you have a problem with gay marriage (which is the topic at hand in our country), it's not your place to judge or condemn gays.  Besides, you probably eat shellfish.

Matthew 22:39, "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Ya know, I don't get homosexuality.  I really don't.  I've always liked men, I've always been attracted to men, I can appreciate attractiveness in women but I've never wanted to pursue a relationship with one.  Does that mean I hate homosexuality?  Or dislike anyone who is?  No.  I don't really like animals.  I don't have a desire to have pets at my house.  Does that make me dislike people who do keep pets at their house?  Or better yet, if you're an animal lover, do you dislike me because I'm not?  Stop judging people.  People having relationships with other people and showing mutual love and care and affection for each other, regardless of sexual orientation, are not hurting anyone, and are no more "sinners" than the rest of us out here eating shellfish.
 
One more before I sign off:

Matthew 9:17, "Neither do [men] put new wine into old wine-skins: else the skins burst, and the wine is spilled, and the skins perish: but they put new wine into fresh wine-skins, and both are preserved."

Change is okay.  Change is good.  The new wine, or ways of the world, as times change, are not going to work with old wine-skins, aka old mindsets.  We need a fresh mindset, a fresh outlook, so we can move forward into bigger and better.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment