Friday, September 19, 2014

Update on Life and Paleo Cinnamon Roll Scones

Life is way too busy.  I'm not complaining or anything, it's a good kind of busy, but sometimes it'd be nice to sit down and actually finish a blog post for once.  I have several started, but invariably there will be a little person (or a big one) needing me for something and I wind up sidetracked and never make it back to the computer.  I have lots of ideas for posts, too, like breastfeeding, cloth diapering, etc., but I never get to write them because I'm too busy breastfeeding, cloth diapering, etc.  We all got hit with the flu a couple weeks ago too, so that's a story in itself that I need to share with you.  And now I've been working - I just completed my first week back at work and I must say I feel SOOOO happy.  I have a new office space too!  Check it out!



I LOVE it.  My parents and brothers helped Justin and I haul everything from our basement to my new location last weekend and once everything was done and situated I just felt this wonderful sense of satisfaction, like my life is complete now.  It was so good to see my clients again whom I hadn't seen all summer and just get back into the swing of things.  Elliot did great at the babysitter, too, which always makes a momma feel better about going back to work.  Speaking of Elliot, he's growing like a weed and keeps getting cuter!  Not sure what this rapid growth thing is all about - he's officially the same size Harlee was at four months old.  And Elliot's not even two months old yet!  He will be on Sunday though.  Where has that time gone already?  Here's the lil munchkin, before I progress on to the next part of this post:


Watching us move into my new office

He's a pretty happy baby!


Harlee loves being a big brother, Elliot gets lots of hugs and kisses!
Yep, he's a pretty cute lil guy, so I think we'll keep him.  He's been doing great, too, as far as his tummy troubles go.  My diet isn't as restricted anymore, which is nice.  I've narrowed it down to dairy, which isn't a big deal since I've eliminated milk a long time ago.  Cheese and occasionally sour cream were the only dairy items I was eating, so I can do without that.  Eggs was the hardest thing to avoid, but I've eaten baked foods with eggs in them here and there with no change in his disposition, so I'm thinking they're not bothering him.  Whew!  I haven't tried an egg by itself though.  Eventually I will, as it used to be a breakfast staple for me and I really really miss that, but I've been eating bacon, ham, or gluten-free cereal with almond milk or smoothies made with banana, almond butter, almond milk, and Barlean's Greens Chocolate Silk, and I've been doing just fine.  And so has he!

Speaking of breakfast, I found this recipe on Fed+Fit for blueberry scones, and thought it looked pretty yummy and easy to make.  But I was also craving cinnamon rolls.  So I decided to omit the blueberries and replace with honey, cinnamon, and pecans.

Holy. Moley.  Let's just say this was a huge success.  I still can't get over how good they turned out!!  I am SO excited!  And I like that it was a change from the usual almond flour, too.  It's nice to do things differently every once in awhile!

Harlee helped me, which I always encourage him to do.  He's definitely fascinated by cooking - sometimes he even prefers to watch the Food Network with me over the Disney Channel!



So, on with the recipe!  By the way, I completely forgot to include coconut oil, which was part the original recipe.  It still turned out just fine, though.



1 ½ cups cashews (or 1 1/3 cups ground)
¼ cup arrowroot powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp organic maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Egg
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans



Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9” metal cake pan with parchment paper.  Blend the cashews in a food processor until ground into a flour.  Place cashew flour, arrowroot powder, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
Whisk the maple syrup, vanilla extract, and egg in a separate bowl and pour into dry ingredients.  Mix until incorporated.  You should have a thick, sticky batter.  Pour into the parchment-lined cake pan and spread out toward the edges.
In the same bowl you used for the wet ingredients, whisk together the honey and cinnamon.  Drizzle over the top of your scone batter, and top with the chopped pecans.
Bake for 30 minutes (or possibly more - Elliot was getting fussy as the timer was going off so I didn't get to the oven right away to take them out).  Let cool, cut into wedges, and enjoy!
 

 
Yeah.  Definitely my favorite breakfast food so far.  I will be making this many more times in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment