Friday, April 11, 2014

My Crazy Life Update and Paleo Blueberry Muffins

Hello strangers!  This new house has completely consumed me and all my time.  Okay so the new house, my kid, my job, and stabilizing my own sanity have completely consumed me and all my time, but the new house is probably taking the brunt of it.  So blogging, unfortunately, has not consumed any of my time.  I miss it a lot, I must say.  We spent our first night in the new abode on March 22nd, exactly 8 months to the date since we staked out the land where we'd break ground the next day, so that timing was pretty cool!

Breaking ground, July 22nd, 2013


With that first night and the days and nights following came a whirlwind of packing, cleaning, moving, cleaning, unpacking, cleaning some more, unpacking some more, sorting, thinking, "Do we really need some of this crap?", meeting with more subcontractors for the smaller things like finishing our shower and vanities, getting our gas tank buried, measuring for mirrors, and then also doing our own finishing touches like putting up light fixtures, toilet paper holders and towel racks, installing shelves in the master closet, staining the deck and patio doors as well as the stairs and railing and then varnishing all of that, etc., etc., etc.  It's been just a little bit hectic.  On top of the fact that Justin's been working long hours at least an hour and a half from home (and commuting that every day) so his help has been limited, and I've been swamped at my own job too (which is good because I need to stock pile those hours before I take maternity leave in June!).  My stress levels have been tested to their limits, that's for sure.  Thank goodness for our parents right now - with my in-laws watching Harlee while we work and my parents helping us pack and move and then unpack and install things, saying we're grateful is an understatement.  The stress and craziness has all been worth it, though - I am in love with our new house.  Designing it from scratch has made it even more rewarding, too, now that the pictures of floor plans I scribbled out years ago have become reality.  Someday I'll have to sit down and sort through pictures and tell the tale of the building experience from beginning to "end" (are you ever really done when you take on a project like this?).  But I need time to do that.  And I'm a bit short on that right now.

For example, I made these blueberry muffins over a month ago in the old house, and I'm FINALLY finding the time to post the recipe.  I also made a new and improved (and husband/child approved) cauliflower pizza crust, carrot cake muffins, and barbeque sauce (followed by a recipe I made with it for pork chops using pineapples and bell peppers).  All of which were simple recipes because I don't have much time to piddle around with anything extravagant!  I decided to post this one because it's actually not even my recipe - I stole it from Pinterest - so I can just copy and paste it for you like the old days when I was just starting out with Paleo and wanted to simply share my delicious finds before I started making my own creations.  These muffins turned out amazing, so I intend to use this recipe for all my future muffin creations, like the carrot cake muffins I made, and eventually I'd like to play around with apple cinnamon, peach cobbler, chocolate raspberry, etc.

But for now, we've got these, and they are quite delicious.  I spread some butter on them hot out of the oven, and they actually reminded me of the Pillsbury blueberry muffins my mom would make when I was younger (which are sooooo yummy and probably equally as bad for you...).

Like all almond flour creations, these freeze really well, making them a perfect quick breakfast for those rushed mornings.  Just pop it in the microwave and you're good to go!


So, without further ado, here's the recipe, shamelessly stolen from Robin's Sweet Confessions:

2 1/2 cups almond flour
3 large eggs
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 300°.
Line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin cups
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together, except blueberries, until full combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
Fill each liner 3/4 full with batter.
Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Cool for about 5 minutes, then remove and enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I wonder if you could just put about any fruit in that. I have an abundance of strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet so! Give it a try and let me know how it works out. I'm sure there's a yummy paleo frosting out there that would turn it into a strawberry shortcake... ;-)

      Delete