Friday, September 27, 2013

Guilt-Free Friday: Sandwich Rounds

Back in action! Or trying to be, anyway... I created a bread recipe awhile back, but never posted it.  That's okay, because I like this one a whole lot better.  I tell you what, it is soooooo nice to be able to have sandwiches again.  BLTs, hamburgers, whatever.  And just like my flaxseed tortilla recipe, it's nice to have options outside of wrapping your sandwich or wrap ingredients in a lettuce or cabbage leaf.

The original recipe came from Comfy Belly, and I tweaked it to work with what I had on hand, for example the original recipe called for yogurt, and since we limit dairy here at our house, I didn't have any of that in my fridge, so I used almond milk instead.  It turned out good, but runny and the finished product tasted amazing but was super soft.  This would probably do well as a pancake recipe.  So I decided a little coconut flour might help the situation, and I ended up changing the whole thing.  And it turned out pretty darn good.  Yay!

*** 2/3/16 UPDATE *** I changed this recipe again as I was having trouble with the recipe holding up as leftovers.  They worked beautifully the first day, but would just get crumby and fall apart the next day.  Which doesn't work well if you're trying to meal-prep.  I'll leave the original recipe up, since I added arrowroot powder and not everyone has that on hand (even though you should because it makes amazing tortillas), so if you don't want to go out and buy yet another weird ingredient, you don't have to, just be aware that you may not get a sturdy leftover out of these.

2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1/2 cup arrowroot powder
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups almond milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
3 large eggs
2 tbsp honey

Follow baking instructions as explained below.




2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup flaxmeal
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
3 large eggs
2 tbsp honey


Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix together.
Place about a spoonful of batter/dough (it'll be thicker than batter but smoother than dough) on the parchment paper and smooth it out flat, about 1/4" thin, in a circle the size you'd like your sandwich to be.  You can also make them more elongated for hotdogs or bratwurst.  Do this until your parchment paper is full of rounds.  Sprinkle with toppings if you'd like, such as flax seeds, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the rolls start to brown.
Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely.  These should keep, sealed, in the fridge for about a week, or in the freezer for about a month.  Enjoy!


If you would like to try the first recipe, the ingredients are:

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
1 large egg
2 flax eggs
2 tbsp honey

Make it the same as above recipe, only bake for at least 15 minutes.  I think I'll try reducing the amount of milk if I try this version again.  It's definitely easier to pour them out like pancake batter, but they were almost too runny and too soft when done.  Let me know what your results are!  Here are some photos from the first batch:




I must say, it was soooooo nice to have a BLT again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment