Saturday, February 23, 2013

Guilt-Free *Saturday* : Sweet Potato Brownies


Sorry for a delayed post.  We had a busy day yesterday!  The snow day continued on for another day, all my clients cancelled due to being iced in and I was okay with that since I was more or less iced in as well, so we bundled Harlee up and hopped into Justin's truck and went out to the farm where Justin and a friend worked on knocking down the old silo.  It was really exciting!  I took a video of it, but it's insanely long and I need to figure out how to trim it up before I post it.  I'll get it up here eventually though.  But for now, here's Harlee standing by the remains:


Then we went to the St. Louis Home Show, which was a lot of fun.  There's SOOOOOO much to think about when it comes to building a new house!!  And now, thanks to that show, even MORE to think about!

I know what bathtub I want though:

Who wants to donate to my fund to get this?  It's only $3500...... and I'll invite you over for a pool party in it! :-)

Or I'll just keep looking for something a little less expensive...



Harlee loved this guy... or the fact that he let him play in that water!  And of course Nobbe's tractor display got his attention too.  He's getting pretty good at saying "Tractor"!

 It was pretty late by the time we got home, and I was pooped.  Thus, no recipe for Guilt-Free Friday.  But, not to worry, I'm on it today!

It’s just stupid how good these are.  I still can’t get over it.  This is the third pan I’ve made so far and STILL I can’t believe they’re this good…

I love me some brownies.  I always have.  Now I love them even more.  Because I can eat like 3 or four of these at a time!!  Okay so I probably shouldn’t, but there’s definitely not as much guilt with that as there is eating some of Betty Crocker’s brownies…


I found this recipe in my Paleo Magazine.  Yes I’m a nerd and subscribed to a magazine focusing on the way we eat…  But I’m glad I did because now I know about these brownies!

The recipe was submitted by a blogger I follow, and I’ve mentioned it on here before – PaleOMG.com – and she’s always had some great recipes to share.  Well she’s done it again, and I have to pass this along to you all, because it’s just plain ol’ amazing.  I added pecans to mine though.  So they’re even more amazing.  They're moist and gooey and fudgy and everything I want a brownie to be.

Sorry, again, for the phone picture...

 Alright.  You need this recipe.  Here it is:

1 sweet potato
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (melt it in your dish in the preheated oven - then your dish is greased and ready to go too!)
1/3 cup honey (or liquid sweetener)
1/4 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Bake the sweet potato at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes - whole thing, skin and all, just toss it in the oven as-is and gather up your other supplies while you wait.

Peel off the sweet potato's skin and mash it, and turn your oven down to 350.  Mix it with your wet ingredients.  Then add the dry ingredients and mix well.  Add the chocolate chips and the pecans and stir until incorporated.  Pour into an 8x8 baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Let set and cool, then dig in.  And then make some more because that pan won't last very long :)

No comments:

Post a Comment