Sunday, January 13, 2013

Intuition


Just wanted to blog what was on my mind today, which is, obviously, intuition.  I got to thinking this topic might be found helpful by a lot of people, too, so I figured I might as well blab about it a little bit.

I’m not trying to get all “out-there” or anything like that, but I do believe we all have a sixth sense – a natural instinct that guides us through life.  That little voice in our heads that tells us right from wrong, or that chill up your spine when you feel danger is lurking, or when you wake up in the morning just with a good feeling about the day ahead.  That’s intuition.  I go off of it a lot.  I make a lot of decisions based on it, basically by trying to stay in tune with my body as best as possible.

I feel it’s a good time to remind you all that I’m not a doctor.  I don’t have any formal training as a holistic health consultant or anything like that, besides the training I have in holistic body work, so if anything I’m telling you doesn’t sit quite right with you, it probably means that the information I have at that time isn’t exactly appropriate for YOUR body at that time.  It’s your intuition speaking.  And someday I’d like to get formal training in holistic health, expanding on the training I currently have as a massage therapist, but even then if I tell you something that doesn’t sit quite right with you, I repeat, it probably means it’s not what your body needs at the time.

My goal with this blog is to help you with natural lifestyle choices based on what I’ve learned over the years.  My only advantage is that I was raised this way.  Growing up, my mom would doctor us up with herbal or homeopathic remedies, and we would get well.  We seldom, if ever, sought Western medical or pharmaceutical care.  Making natural lifestyle choices is, well, natural to me.  Most people aren’t raised this way, and therefore don’t have a knowledge base to help them with different choices in life.  I’m finding there are a LOT of people interested in more natural living, though, and I can see how difficult it would be to be starting from scratch.  It’s overwhelming!  That’s the point of this blog.  To share my knowledge base with you that I’ve accumulated through the past 26 years, and help you on your journey of improving yours and your family’s health.  You don’t have to take my advice, by any means.  Like I said before, if something I say or suggest doesn’t feel right to you, then don’t follow that bit of advice.  Don’t do anything that doesn’t feel right to you, for that matter – it’s usually your body telling you it’s not right for you at this time!  Intuition.

No, I’m not an expert in this field, but I really want to be… I love researching all the information that I share with you in these posts.  I love learning more about remedies and nutrition and overall health and wellness, and I love sharing it with you.  I love seeing my naturopathic doctor and getting her opinions and advice on the choices I’m making in my own life, or learning more about what she suggests to improve different areas of my life.  (By the way, a lot of the things I post on here are things I’ve talked with her about, even crazy things like the lemonade diet I did, if that gives you any comfort!)  I love coming across new things too, like when my client told me about the olive leaf extract and it wound up working wonders in bringing me out of my sinus congestion and the horrible cold I was dealing with.  Which, by the way, I got a good feeling about that remedy when she told me about it – my intuition was signaling me that this is probably something I should try!  Anyway, it’s on my bucket list to get formal training in this field.  I have dreams of someday not only offering massage therapy, but also sitting down with clients and discussing their goals for a healthier lifestyle, and options on how to achieve it.  But for now this blog is my outlet.  Plain, simple, straightforward, free advice.  Things that I do to improve mine and my family’s health that I’m happy to share with you in the event that you want to do the same for yourself and your family.

I’m trying to live my life based more on my intuition, though, to get back on topic.  If I don’t agree with something or something doesn’t feel right to me, I’m not going to share it with you or suggest that you try it.  Makes sense, right?  I hope you do the same.  Just stay tuned in to that feeling in your gut, or in your heart, or that voice inside your head, and follow it.  It’s usually going to guide you to where you need to be for the benefit of your personal situation in life.  Nutrition is one of the big ones for me.  While I believe EVERYone would benefit from avoiding processed or refined foods or foods with chemicals or artificial ingredients added to them, there are natural things that may not be fitting for everyone at the same time.  I’ve found that I feel better avoiding most grains, especially those that contain gluten (wheat, rye, barley, spelt, etc.), and it seems as though my husband has experienced health benefits as well.  I like what I’ve read in books about it, I like what I’ve researched online about it, it feels good to me, so I’m sharing it with you and following that advice in my personal life.  Some people don’t agree that grains are that bad – maybe that’s just because that’s what they need in their own life at that time.  Meat is another one.  I’ve heard so much controversy over whether or not red meat is good for you, whether or not pork is good for you, etc. etc. etc..  My personal belief is that if I’m going to consume meat, I’m going to try to avoid the animals that were injected with steroids or artificial growth hormones, because I don’t want to eat that.  And some people believe ALL meat is bad, that’s fine too, even if I don’t agree with it as I’m on the other end of the spectrum and my intuition says we’re all part of the great circle of life.  But, like I said, you need to do what you feel is right for YOUR body.  It’s all a learning experience, but your intuition will get you to your goal of optimal health the fastest.

I kinda rambled a little there, sorry about that.  I get off on a tangent and away I go!  Just had a few experiences lately that made me feel compelled to share all that with you.  Fortunately I had mostly positive experiences – more and more people are writing in or calling to ask for advice about different health-related topics, and it’s very exciting for me!  I’m so happy to share my thoughts or my knowledge with you, and I’m so happy you feel like you can ask!  But I wanted to be sure, at the same time, that you all are aware of where I’m coming from.  That I’m not an expert, just a regular person who happened to grow up in a natural lifestyle.  So, I repeat, if I suggest something to you that leaves you thinking, “Eehhh, I’m not so sure about THAT one…” then that’s probably something you shouldn’t try.  Listen to your intuition!

For more information on intuition, I like what Wikipedia has to share.  It covers all aspects of the term, from psychology to science to spirituality.  Check it out!  And then be sure to stay tuned into yours!

Hope you’ve all had a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I think about these things a lot, and I think it's in my nature to do so, as it seems to be in yours. :) I think it's MUCH easier for some people to be in-tune with themselves and their surroundings, because I truly believe it is a spiritual gift - though usually referred to as "discernment" in a religious context. After we did a study on spiritual gifts and I realized this was mine, my life made so much more sense, haha. Even as a kid I could sense when someone was being genuine or not, if someone was being truthful or not, or if a situation or place was safe or not - even when my peers couldn't.

    I totally agree with you that everyone has intuition that they should learn to listen to. And then there are people like you whom people turn to for advice, because sensing what is good and right just comes naturally. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Adrien! That was one of the nicest comments ever :). And I do agree, that while we all have it, some have a stronger sense of intuition than others. But along the same line, I guess everyone has certain qualities that are stronger than others. What a great way to keep balance as we help each other along through life!

      Delete